Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Starstruck

What does it mean to be famous? Webster says it is to "have a widespread reputation, usually of a favorable nature." Who doesn't want that? Who doesn't want to be seen, heard and admired. It's why reality shows are so prevalent. Everyone wants their five minutes of fame. It's why we wait in line for hours for the chance to get an autograph. Even if it's just a ten second brush with someone who has acquired fame, we want it. It's a desperate cry from a hungry and dying generation to be loved and accepted.

Last week, I had the privelege of going to an International Youth Convention in San Antonio, Texas as a counselor with our youth group. Even I found myself being drawn in by the stardom. It made me jump up and down as I sang along when Starfield performed. It made me tell Charlie Hall that I love his beard. As I walked away I shook my head at myself thinking, "I can't beleive I just said that." When someone told me that they had overheard Chris Tomlin saying he was going to meet his road manager at the Caso Rio restaurant on the Riverwalk for dinner, It was the thing that drove me to make a beeline over to that same restaurant to "bump into him" and have my picture made with him.

Later that week, during a time of worship, I heard God whispering to me. He said, "Courtney, I want you to be Starstruck for me." I started to meditate on what that might look like. I pictured a passionate young teenage girl jumping and screaming in excitement as I run to meet my Lord, the famous one. I thought about anticipating that day, even now, with and unquenchable fire in my heart. I thought about the undignified worship that I have seen people offer up to God. I know that when I meet Him face to face, my heart will be so full that I won't be able to help but to be undignified as well.

During my many encounters with famous people, I have noticed that as much as you admire them and want to connect with them, they are always wisked away all too soon. Busy schedules and other adoring fans take them away. When I meet my Jesus, I know this will not be the case. I believe he will smile when he sees me in my foolish, impassioned adoration as he takes my hand and walks with me in glory.




Your famous and righteous ways, O God. God, you've done it all! Who is quite like you? -Psalms 71:19 (The Message)

Blessings,
Courtney

2 comments:

Sarah Craft said...

Courtney, I love your blog posts. Thank you!

bekah said...

awesome post. chris tomlin & charlie hall!! i'm jealous... but it's okay, b/c we both WILL get to meet Jesus and that will be so much better. thanks for this post, it was encouraging to my heart today :)