Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Shack

I was going to paint Emma's room this week. I haven't started yet. It seems that a more important engagement has come up.

Last week, I read a blog post by Jenny Simmons (of Addison Road). Jenny is a lover of books and frequently will write about her favorite reads. She had written that day about a book called The Shack by William P. Young. I didn't think much of it at the time, but when Josh's mom was here this past weekend, she mentioned that she too had just read it. Then Sunday morning, during sunday school, people were buzzing about the same book. All who spoke of it could not say enough about it's profound message or, should I say, messagES. Even though this book has been in print for I think about a year now, this was my time to read it. I felt as though there was a ship about to leave port and I was compelled to run and get on quick!

Sunday evening I made a trip to Walmart for a few things and picked up the book while I was there. I didn't start the book until Monday evening. From what I heard, I knew that I would barely be able to put the book down once I started it. I wanted to make sure I had the time and attention to devote to it. Typically, I am not a big reader. My mind wanders too easily. There are many half read books on my book shelf. I usually start a book only to get frustrated with my distractions and give up. Not the case with this book. I devoured it. Also, I don't think that it was any coincidence that Josh's parents came to get my two youngest children Monday night, with little notice, for a 2 day visit. I beleive that God gave me the opportunity to have some alone time as I read this book so that I could go to "the shack" too. Does that sound corny?....It won't after you read this book.

I have struggled with what to say about this book. I wanted to say something that would draw people in. I wanted to say something that would do the book justice. I wanted to say something that would not give away the magic of the story. I have come to the conclusion that I just can't. So, take my advice. Go buy this book. It's only ten bucks at Wal-mart. Read it for yourself. I'm telling you, you will be so glad that you did.

This book reads like a true story. It's not. It is fictional. But, I beleive it to be filled with truth still. Don't think of this as me endorsing a book, but rather, me endorsing a rich experience with the loving God.

3 comments:

Adam Wallace said...

My mom has read that book also.

She wasn't really impressed with it.

jen said...

Hey Courtney. This is Jenny, your friend who recommended the book! I loved your review, especially when you said that you went to the shack too. I never thought of it that way, but it is so true. I literally spent a weekend at the shack. And it was so beautiful I didn't want to come back. Glad you read the book!

Laurie said...

I think that I came to your blog tonight for the first time for a reason. I just started this book last night. Now that the kids are asleep I may go sit down with the book.