Friday, September 12, 2008

Introducing "Cakes by Courtney"

Update: I just found this blog called Cake Wrecks. It is hilarious. It showcases some disasters in the cake business. Maybe my first cake would be one for her blog...lol.

Haha, Well don't expect much yet. I had this wonderful idea that I was going to learn how to make cakes. I have been trying to think of something that I can do from home to bring in some extra income. I'm not that great of a cook but I do like to decorate things. So I attempted my first cake with fondant icing.

The cake itself was actually courtesy of Betty Crocker. I think maybe I will try that from scratch next time. I did make the icing from scratch though. It turned out well. I had heard that fondant is pretty but doesn't taste very good. I found this recipe online and it is delicious.

The icing was a little harder to work with than I thought. I couldn't find any cornstarch in my cabinets so it kept sticking to my rolling pin. It tore pretty easy when I layed it over my cake. There is another fondant recipe I found that claims to be better about not tearing so I think I'll try that next time. I knew that if there were any blemishes in my cake that I could just cover it with decorations. Let's just say there were a lot of decorations.

It won't win any baking or cake decorating contests but it is a start, especially since I didn't have any of the necessary tools like icing smoothers and such. I have a mental wishlist right now. I have a lot to learn so I'm thinking about taking a few classes. I definitely don't think anyone would pay for this cake but I am determined to get better at this. If you have any pointers for me, let me know. Otherwise, look for me at a wedding cake table near you soon....or maybe not so soon. :)

For now, I have to find someone to give this cake to so I don't gain 400 pounds. :)


If your wondering why I did the big round circles, I kinda needed those to cover up some of the big oopsies. My original plan was just to do the green hearts (green was the only color food coloring I had in my cabinets). I think it would have been much prettier if it were just the hearts and not the circles. Oh, well, next time.


Some people use fondant to create little sculptures to top their cakes. I used my leftovers to try to make a puppy. It could use some tweaking and definitely needs some paint but would be cute on a little boy's birthday cake.

3 comments:

Valarie said...

Did you use marshmellow fondunt icing? If not try that. Also look on the inside of the cake box and it will give you the recipe that bakers use. :)

Valarie said...

By the way I think you did a really good job! It looks really cute, and I like the white polka dots. :)

david & andrea said...

I think the cake is adorable! I agree with valarie, I really like the polka dots. (: What a fun idea to make cakes! The Cake Bible is a great tool for finding a good recipe for the cake itself. Don't know if it has fondant tips, too, probably does. My mom used the book when she made my sister's wedding cake. She tried a different recipe every weekend until we found one we all loved. There were so many good ones, though! We all probably gained 20 lbs. in the process, but it was great always having cake around. (: