Sunday, October 19, 2008

Am I Making Progress?

Last weekend, I got the opportunity to go to Nashville to see my mother on her birthday. I hadn't been in a while so it was really great to visit. I also got to see my sister who is in med school in Memphis. It had seemed like forever since we saw her last. The kids and I had really been missing everyone so we were thankful for the chance to get away.

Before we left, I worked on cake #3 to present to my mother for her birthday. I was really pleased with how it turned out except for discovering that working with dark colors is hard because they can bleed onto the lighter colors. I am hoping to attempt a 2 tier cake soon.

My sister-in-law and I decided to trade favors. I am going to make the cake for my nephew, Elijah's, 1st birthday and she is going to help me with some flyers for my little cake business. I think she got the short end of that stick, though, since she has a degree in graphic-design and well, I am still learning.

Here are some pics of mom's cake.


8 comments:

Shannon said...

I do have to say the cake you made for Ellah's birthday was both beautiful and yummy! Thank you so much for it. The last piece that was left was stolen by Kyndall who thought I was not looking when she was reaching up onto the counter and stealing handfuls to eat. The chocolate crumbs and pink icing on her face gave her away.

Valarie said...

You are doing an awesome job on those! Keep it up!

Stacie said...

the cake is adorable! i would let you make one for me (if ever i needed one!).

samantha.sapp said...

i so did not get the short end of the stick! i ate that cake, you know, and i'm still thinking about it...mmmm! so good=)

Josh said...

I did not get to try that cake, but I did take the tops she cut off (all 4 of them) used a can of frosting and made the worlds shortest 4-layer chocolate cake. Yummy.

Kristy said...

I love that cake..it is beautiful! Going into cake business huh?! Hook me up!! I can be your taster!! lol

Josh said...

Back off. I am the taster!

David G Sapp said...

Dear Courtney, Knowing you, I realize you put a lot of love and hard work into making each one of these cakes... but really... there's one big problem with them... they are simply too splendid to cut into... what can you do about this??? Signed, Perplexed in Nashville(We Love You!)