Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Little Wonders

If you know me at all, you know that I have become addicted to the TV show LOST. I did not watch the first 3 seasons on TV. But, when I was on maternity leave after giving birth to Leah, I realized that ABC.com had all 3 of the first seasons available online to watch for free.

Once I watched the first episode, I was hooked. I actually burned up the hard-drive on my laptop from running so much video in such a short amount of time on my computer. (Since Josh works on computers in his spare time, I just changed out the burnt up one for another recenly repaired laptop).

I knew, from doing some research on LOST online, that it was a show centered around time travel theories although that had not really become obvious until this, the 5th, season. There's something about trying to wrap your mind around some of these unfathomable theories that is just so interesting.

Many "Losties" joke that they are always lost after watching the show because of the many plot twists and unanswered questions. But since I am not a genius physicist, I am also quite lost when it comes to the science of these time travel theories....

and I LOVE it.

I love trying to figure out this that is so mind boggling.

Maybe I need some "perspective".



Perspective actually did come... directly from my 6 year old.

Emma got a new DVD for Valentine's Day from my mom and dad called "Meet the Robinson's". It's a really cute movie that also centers around the theme of time travel.

Apparently, this subject is fascinating at any age because I have been asked numerous questions about it by Emma.

What exactly is a time machine?

How does it work?

When will they build a time machine that works?


Of course I have very little in the way of answers for these questions. I just tell her that no one has figured out how to do it without dying in the process yet.

I guess that I expected all of these questions, but what I didn't expect was this statement that came next.

"Mom, when they figure out how to make a time machine, I want to go back in time and see Mema Carolyn. Because I really want to see her".

Mema Carolyn is my maternal grandmother who was killed by a drunk driver about 12 years ago. I often think about how unfair it is that because of a incredibly irresponsible human being, Emma and her grandmother (who would have loved her more than I could ever say) never met.

When Emma said this to me, we were driving in the car. I couldn't help but tear up. I told her that I know that Mema would love to see her too.



Emma, If they ever do figure out how to make a time machine, I wouldn't mind going with you on that trip.

Even so, if they don't, it won't matter much....

It won't matter, because this earth is not the end. We can look forward to seeing our dear loved ones again one day, thanks to the hope of Christ. What peace comes from resting in that very hope. Pondering the wonder of His ways is even more fascinating than time travel.

Thank you Lord.

2 comments:

samantha.sapp said...

this post is so sweet. ask emma if she minds if i go with her. i met aaron one month after mema carolyn died.

Shannon said...

There are many people I would love to go back and see but like you said, we will see them again soon but not on this earth. Great post.