Sunday, October 18, 2009

Brewing Excitement and H1N1

Here I am, finally, with a blog update for you! Our family has been through one thing after another over the last week or two.

Last Friday night, at only 34 weeks, I started having contractions about every 10 minutes. After being up and down all night with the pain alternating between my stomach and back, we decided to call the doctor at about 9 am Saturday morning. Of course they told us to come on in to the hospital. We quickly realized that we were nowhere near ready for this baby to come, but wanted to be prepared, just in case. We jumped into gear and packed bags for us, for the kids to stay at Mimi's and for the baby. I realized, I did not have anything purchased for the baby yet. No Diapers. No Baby Wipes. No Baby Wash. Even the car seat was down underneath the house in desperate need of being disinfected. We grabbed what we had and made the hour and a half trip to the hospital. After several hours of being monitored, they gave me a shot of Terbutaline which put a stop to the contractions. While waiting for my discharge papers, we were surprised to see my mom and dad walk into the room. We had called them early that morning to let them know what was happening but had told them there was no need to drive to the hospital. They didn't listen. They made the 3 hour trip from N-ville only to arrive as we were being discharged. It was a great surprise though. It was my mom's birthday so we ended up spending the rest of the day visiting with them.

The following Tuesday, I was just recovering from our excitement over the weekend, when it came time to drive back to K-town to take the girls in for their yearly check-ups. We decided to come up the night before and spend the night at Mimi's to make the day a little easier on everyone. As I kissed them good night that night, I noticed that both of the girls were running fevers. My only thought was that the timing was actually good since we would be at the doctor's the next day anyway. We found out the next day that both girls were in the very early stages of the H1N1 flu. We quickly got prescriptions of Tamiflu for all of the kids and myself. It took all day to get that taken care of between looking for a pharmacy that wasn't out of the suspension formula for the kids and trying to get my doctor's office on the ball. It was a little nerve-racking since the younger kids and me (since I'm pregnant) are in a high risk group for complications. We have all done okay so far though. Everyone seems to be on the mend now. No more fevers just a few coughs and runny noses. The kids were on fall break the first part of the week anyway but having them at home couped up all week has been almost too much for any of us to bear. They are so ready to get out and run around. Even with the cold weather, I think we will be going to the park very soon!

1 comment:

Renee said...

Wow, that wore me out just reading about it. Glad all worked out ok with everything. We'll be in TN for our big game, maybe we'll get to meet the little fella. Come on baby Noah, halloween weekend would be perfect :)